Scroll To Top

PO. Box 303
Dover-Foxcroft, ME
04426-0303



facebook
Contact us

Brian Woodworth
President


Rudy Davis
Vice President


Jennifer Stewart
Treasurer


Janet Hall
Recording Secretary


Cindy Woodworth
Corresponding Secretary


Bob Hall
Director


Brian Krause
Director


Dean Meffe
Director


Jennifer Rogers
Director


Drew Daubenspeck
Director


Maurice Marden
Director


Open Position
Director


Norman Hill
Director


Joe Guyotte
Director


MJ Sheldon-McKenzie
Director


Open Position
Director


Patrice Olivier
Website Developer


Meeting Minutes

Annual Meeting 2017

SEBEC LAKE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING MINUTES

July 08, 2017

Twenty-eight members of the Sebec Lake Association met in the Mayo Hospital Piscataquis Room on July 8, 2017. President Brian Woodworth called the meeting to order at 9:35 a.m., welcomed members to the annual meeting and had the Board members introduce themselves. The 2016 Annual meeting minutes were read by attendees. The minutes were approved as presented.

The Treasurer's Report was distributed to attendees and presented by Treasurer Jennifer Stewart. The report was accepted as presented.

Old Business: IPP: Brian Krause reported on the Invasive Plant Patrol project. Foxcroft Academy has approved a program for FA students to work on the IPP and receive science course credit. There are currently 6 students in the program which will start soon. The plan is to investigate Newell and Seymour Coves, the State Park, from Packard's south to Buck's Cove and the Sebec Dam area over the summer. Brian will also contact VLMP about conducting an Invasive Plant class next spring.

Bylaws revision: The revised bylaws were distributed to attendees; a vote to accept the revised bylaws passed unanimously.

Lewis (Tink) Shepardson questioned the lake fluctuation this season.

Maurice discussed the current Ampersand Dam Agreement: 1. Tim Obrey (IFW Biologist) monitors the salmon spawn in the fall and the level is kept up until he reports the end of the spawning event; 2. the Dam owners want to make money, but are also very concerned about keeping levels to the requires 322.8 feet above sea level from Memorial Day until 2 weeks after Labor Day; 3. Natural fluctuation during the summer is due to the amount of rain, which gets to the lake faster and in larger quantities due to clear cutting; the watershed for the lake is 320 sq. miles; 4. Ampersand is prohibited from flooding Milo, i.e. cannot send too much water down the river to impact Milo's capabilities to handle it all.

Tom Gerrish wondered if the wood companies are required to replant after cutting. This would be regulated by the Maine Forest Service.

Cindy Woodworth announced that 2017 Newsletters are available; they are also posted on the SLA website.

New Business: Election of Officers and Board of Directors. The Board presented a slate of Officers and Board of Directors. Peter Chase and Gary Soucy have resigned from the Board. The following slate of Officers and Board of Directors was elected unanimously:

  • President: Brian Woodworth
  • Vice President: Rudy Davis
  • Treasurer: Jennifer Stewart
  • Recording Secretary: Janet Hall
  • Corresponding Secretary: Cindy Woodworth
  • Directors Bob Hall, Norman Hill, Dean Meffe, Maurice Marden, Joe Guyotte, MJ Sheldon-McKenzie, Brian Krause, Drew Daubenspeck, Jennifer Rogers, Dennis Beaver

Budget Items. The following Budget items were approved unanimously: Website: Up to $500 for Hosting fees ($300) and maintenance ($200), up to $1500 to upgrade website Water quality testing: up to $100 VLMP Donation: $500 Fireworks Donation for 2018: $500

Other. Sue Stitham inquired as to the impact of fireworks on the lake quality; Brian stated that the company that does the Homecoming fireworks have assured him that technology has changed over the years and that the cartridges are retained on the barge after firing and most of the ash is blown away before it gets to the lake. There is no knowing, however, about the fireworks set off by camp owners around the lake.

Brian reported upcoming community events. The photo slide show going on during the meeting was provided by Tom Gerrish, with both old and new photos being displayed.

Speakers. Tim Thurston, Navigational Aids Supervisor talked about his job responsibilities to maintain the markers on 40 Maine lakes, the history of markers on Sebec Lake, including the SLA responsibility to place markers in the early 70�s, and the meaning of each marker. He asked those on the lake to report problems; each marker has tracking information in a state database as well as Tim's phone number which will help him identify problem/missing markers. Monitoring includes fixing/replacing chains, etc., moving markers to where needed. Several questions from the floor were answered related to specifics of the marker placement/repair. To the question of placing lights on markers, Tim stated that lights must be flashing (an annoyance to nearby camps at night). For more information, go to Maine.gov and search Navigational aids. Information is also available on Google Earth for all lakes with markers; this information can be downloaded to GPS units. Jeremy Kemp, Dover Game Warden spoke of the Hooked on Fishing, not Drugs talk he gives to 4th graders about the importance of Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs), stressing the importance of correct sizing, making sure the device floats keeping the face up out of the water, and having enough devices for all on the boat. He discussed requirements for boating/recreational floating devices safety equipment, registration, the importance of having owner information written in kayaks, canoes, PWCs, etc. so that an owner can be contacted/located if one is found floating free. Maine Boating regulations can be found at Maine.gov. Jeremy showed slides of his dive to the Marion, the steamboat scuttled in Bucks Cove. Brian thanked the attendees, the speakers and SLA Board and adjourned the meeting at 11:45 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Janet Hall, Recording Secretary


Annual Meeting 2016

SEBEC LAKE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING MINUTES

July 09, 2016

Thirty members of the Sebec Lake Association met in the Mayo Hospital Piscataquis Room on July 9, 2016.

President Brian Woodworth called the meeting to order at 9:35 a.m., welcomed members to the annual meeting and had the Board members introduce themselves.

Lesley Fernow, President of the Maine Highlands Senior Center housed in the refurbished Central Hall, described the project, which is nearing completion, and invited SLA to tour of the facility.

The 2015 Annual meeting minutes were read by attendees. The minutes were approved as presented.

The 2016 Treasurer's Report was presented by Treasurer Jennifer Stewart. Not included is the 2016 Newsletter printing/mailing cost of nearly $1000; the bill was delayed. Donations totaled $3370, up from previous years, and helped to increase the assets by $4333.49. The report was accepted as presented.

Old Business: Bob Hall reported on the state of the lake. Clarity remains at 22 ft.; phosphorous is measured by the state every 5 years; SLA will do a phosphorous test this year. The lake level monitoring equipment still functions, but has cumbersome data retrieval on-site.

Advertising revenue was $920. It was decided at the Board meeting that ad rates need to increase in order to cover increased printing/mailing costs due to any additional advertising. Norm Hill and Peter Chase coordinate the advertising. Peter will look into alternative printing/mailing options which can streamline the publishing/mailing of the newsletter. He also will look into creating a Facebook page for SLA to increase our exposure.

Rudy reported on the Invasive Plant Patrol project. Donations for IPP totaled $1121. Brian Krause, Biology teacher at FA, has been working with Rudy and has involved students from FA. The plan for 2016 is to work each Thursday through mid-August, using teams of 2-3 people. Due to the generally steep drop-off from the shore, there is no plant growth beyond 7 ft from shore, and this allows walking the shore with a scope to view/id the plants. As plants are identified through the scopes, a monitor records location/depth/type of plant/density. It was suggested to add GPS coordinates. Volunteers are really needed to keep this going; you can volunteer for a single session or several. Volunteers need aqua shoes/waders/snorkels/masks for comfort. Training will be by trained current IPP members; if we have a large number, we can call on VLMP to lead a class. To date, mapping has been done at Greeley's Landing and Newell Cove near the Bowerbank boat launch. So far, only native water plants have been found. In 2016, the plan is to map all of Newell Cove, Greeley's Landing towards the camps, State Park, and the north shore of the big lake where the shoreline has deep water. Rudy emphasized the need to thoroughly clean boats, trailers, motors, water toys, etc. that have been in other lakes.

The question was raised about boats brought here by dealers for test runs: are there regulations for dealers related to cleaning before launching; Rudy will check with VLMP. Glenn Rogers suggested that signs be placed at gas pumps on the lake. Lesley Fernow asked if boat washing stations could be placed at the boat launch sites; Rudy said this had been discussed, but the cost of equipment and personnel would be prohibitive for SLA. Improved Boater Education signage, placed BEFORE the shoreline, would be an improvement. Community Education could be improved by press releases in the Observer/Gazette, signs (possibly constructed by the Environmental Club at FA), and hand out flyers at the Fireworks in August. The SLA Board is reviewing the Bylaws with the goal of using technology, allowing discussions/votes via electronic media. This solves the issue of conducting business off-season as the Board is spread across the country at that time. The proposed changes will be posted on the website after Board approval, and will be voted on by the Membership at the 2017 Annual Meeting.

Tom Gerrish expressed concern over the small size of the landlocked salmon in the lake and suggested SLA contact IFW. Last year, Tim Obrey talked about research being done to improve the population/size of the salmon, so IFW is aware of the situation. Peter Chase, a member of Tim's Stakeholder' group felt that it was a feedstock issue and the smelt population needs to be increased. Jennifer Rogers asked about the prototype Rescue Pole that was to be installed at Greeley's; Brian said that the town would not allow anything to be put on the grassy area near the launch.

New Business: Election of Officers and Board of Directors. The Board presented a slate of Officers and Board of Directors. There were an additional four nominations from the floor: Brian Krause, FA Biology teacher who has been actively working with Rudy on the IPP, Drew Daubenspeck (Tim's Cove), Jennifer Rogers (Bowerbank FR1) and Dennis Beaver (Bowerbank, FR9). Drew, Jennifer and Dennis have each had a lifelong family presence on the lake. The nominations were all seconded. Due to the resignation of Rick Page (VP) from the Board, Rudy was nominated to fill the VP position.

The following slate of Officers and Board of Directors was elected unanimously:

  • President: Brian Woodworth
  • Vice President: Rudy Davis
  • Treasurer: Jennifer Stewart
  • Recording Secretary: Janet Hall
  • Corresponding Secretaryy: Cindy Woodworth
  • Directors Gary Soucy, Bob Hall, Peter Chase, Norman Hill, Dean Meffe, Maurice Marden, Joe Guyotte, MJ Sheldon-McKenzie, Brian Krause, Drew Daubenspeck, Jennifer Rogers, Dennis Beaver

Rick Page's service to the Board since 2011 was recognized by President Woodworth.

Budget Items. The following Budget items were approved unanimously: Website: Up to $500 for Hosting fees ($300) and maintenance ($200) Water quality testing: up to $100 VLMP Donation: $500 Fireworks Donation for 2017: $500 Other.

Brian reported upcoming community events. SLA decals can be ordered on the SLA website. Speaker. Rodney Preble, Bowerbank Fire Chief. Rodney talked about the Fire Boat 3-year project, purchased with fund raisers, a Plum Creek donation, and the King Fund; no taxpayer money was used. The project was initiated for additional fire protection at the lakeshore and mutual aid to nearby Fire Departments. The 20' pontoon boat has been equipped with a mid-ship fire pump with a 500' hose powered by gasoline, a floating ramp for water/patient rescue and related equipment. The fire pump was donated by the John Moore family. The Fire Boat is trailered to the Bowerbank launch site; it was tested and deployed in 11 minutes from the firehouse to Seymour Cove. During Red Flag fire alerts, it can be stored in the water at the dock of Bowerbank firefighter volunteers. Firefighters are also being trained for water rescues and transfer of patients to nearby medical facilities via Greeley's Landing. Joe Guyotte, D-F fire chief, praised Rodney and crew for protecting shoreline buildings during a recent fire near Parsons Landing. D-F has requested a $16K grant from the King Foundation for better communication equipment for the D-F Fire Department.

Brian thanked the attendees and SLA Board and adjourned the meeting at 11:40 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Janet Hall, Recording Secretary


Annual Meeting 2015

SEBEC LAKE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING

July 11, 2015

Thirty-four members of the Sebec Lake Association met in the Mayo Hospital Piscataquis room on July 11, 2015.

President Brian Woodworth called the meeting to order at 9:35 a.m., welcomed members to the annual meeting and had the Officers, Directors and members introduce themselves.

The 2014 Annual meeting minutes were read by attendees. The minutes were approved as presented.

The 2014 Treasurer's Report was presented by Treasurer Jennifer Stewart. She pointed out that increased dues, donations and advertising revenue increased the balance sheet by $2899.02. The report was accepted as presented.

Old Business: Rudy posed the question to the attendees if $15 is the appropriate dues amount. Paul Meierdierck thought it was. David Criner asked about membership numbers; Janet indicated that 21% of our 920 records pay dues. Jennifer Rogers asked if SLA is on Facebook (no); Paul Meierdierck indicated there was some confusion that SLA and Road associations are connected (they are not); Roxanna Gerrish asked if we kept track of camps changing ownership (this is done through Tax Commitment lists annually for each of the four towns on the lake); Steve Robinson said that having a cause would draw more members (Rudy said the Invasive Plant Patrol project is our current cause.) Brian indicated that there is talk of cooperation with other neighborhood associations on the lake (e.g. Tim's Cove.)

Bob Hall reported on the state of the lake. The lake is at the target level at this time. Maurice Marden commented that the lake level was unusually low this spring. The Secchi disk readings for water clarity are consistently in the top 10% of lakes in the state; last year's average was visibility to 23 feet. Phosphorous levels were not measured; this is a bi-annual measurement for SLA; the State measures every 5 years. Ice out has been tracked since 1829; the average date is 4/28; in 2015, it was 5/2. Lesley Fernow asked if the number of ice fishermen was monitored (no); this year there were fewer due to an average temperature of 34 for much of the season.

Cindy Woodworth reported that Newsletter/Web advertising income was $860, an increase of $360 over last year. She pointed out that every record in our database (more than 900) gets a Newsletter, which is an incentive for advertisers. The newsletter also serves to educate the readers.

Rudy reported on the Invasive Plant Patrol project, which includes forming a team of volunteers, including Foxcroft Academy students and camp owners. The objectives include 1) mapping littoral zone (to 15' depth) with current plants in order to monitor for invasive plants, starting with local boat launch areas; 2) Educate residents and visitors; 3) Form a rapid response team to check on reports of suspicious plants. Classroom training was on 6/30 and water training was cancelled and will be rescheduled. This year's program will help determine the type of equipment that is best.

Lesley Fernow asked about problems with canoes/kayaks that camp residents take to other water bodies in the state (they should be washed and dried before going back into Sebec.) It was suggested that the website have a map of lakes in the region that have invasive plants (Janet will look into that.)

Lesley Fernow reported on legislation that D-F is considering to prevent the E-W corridor and protect the local water supply. The well at D-F town beach has been closed.

New Business: Election of Officers and Board of Directors.

The following slate of Officers and Board of Directors was elected unanimously:

  • President: Brian Woodworth
  • Vice President: Rick Page
  • Treasurer: Jennifer Stewart
  • Recording Secretary: Janet Hall
  • Corresponding Secretary: Cindy Woodworth
  • Directors Gary Soucy, Bob Hall, Peter Chase, Norman Hill, Dean Meffe, Maurice Marden, Rudy Davis, Joe Guyotte, MJ Sheldon-McKenzie

Budget Items. The following Budget items were approved unanimously: Insurance Coverage: $1200 includes 1) Directors Liability ($800), 2) 10K Treasurer�s Bond ($400 for 3 years, $133 per year), 3) Equipment (Water monitoring, IPP) with $500 deductible ($250). Web: Hosting ($300) and maintenance ($200) Water quality testing ($100) VLMP Donation (includes IPP classes): $500 Fireworks Donation for 2016: $500 Other.

Brian reported upcoming community events. Fred Muehl presented his prototype for a safety pole at the boat launches, which is PVC pipe cemented in the ground with a life preserver attached. The unit costs $100 to make; there could be advertising on the preserver. There were questions as to how to keep the preserver from being taken. It was agreed that the prototype would be installed at Greeley's boat launch to see how it stands up over the season.

Speaker. Tim Obrey, Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Biologist. Tim spoke on the efforts to determine the success rate of salmon jumping Earley's Falls to spawn in the fall and how to make it easier for the salmon; new monitoring equipment was described and a comprehensive slide show presented. Brian thanked the attendees and adjourned the meeting at 11:50 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Janet Hall, Recording Secretary


Motion to allow up to $1000 for IPP

The following motion was presented and voted on via email, with all SLA Directors receiving a copy. The motion, initiated by Director Rudy Davis, states 'that an amount UP TO $1000 be allocated for expenditures relating to the Invasive Plant Patrol initiative.'

The motion was approved with 9 yea votes, 1 nay vote and 6 directors not responding to the request to vote.

Background for this request: Rudy is leading the creation of the Invasive Plant Patrol program to begin this summer; the IPP program was approved at the annual meeting July 12, 2014. The program includes IPP workshops with VLMP on Friday 6/30/15 at Foxcroft Academy and an on-water workshop at Greeley's Landing on 7/1/15 for people who have volunteered to be part of the IPP program, including some Foxcroft Academy students. Please note that we have already received more than $600 in donations from the membership for these expenses.

Rudy writes: "We are voting on expenditures to buy equipment for use in the IPP. Scopes, Maps, Collection equipment, pens, pencils, notebooks, drinking water (hot days in boats), signage for the launches, etc....things that enable us to do the mapping and observations, and to further education. I do not see us needing to buy PFD's or kayaks, canoes, paddles etc, etc....many are loaning these to the effort. We are purchasing volunteer liability coverage insurance otherwise, so participants (students or not) would be covered under that policy. Our plan is to not have students participate if: They do not have a PFD that fits them (or we can't get one for them to use from an adult team member) They do not have parental permission to participate and a waiver. They cannot swim."


Annual Meeting 2014

SEBEC LAKE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING

July 12, 2014

Twenty-three members of the Sebec Lake Association met in the Mayo Hospital Piscataquis room on July 12, 2014.

After calling the meeting to order at 7 p.m., President Brian Woodworth welcomed members to the annual meeting and had the Officers and Directors present introduce themselves.

He then introduced Denise Buzzelli, Piscataquis Chamber of Commerce Executive Director. Janet introduced Joanne Raymond, widow of Dave Raymond, long-time Lake Association President. Brian pointed out that a slide presentation of photos of Lake activities from the past to the present would be playing during the meeting.

The 2013 Annual meeting minutes were read by attendees. The minutes were approved as presented.

The 2013 Treasurer's Report was presented by Treasurer Jennifer Stewart. She pointed out that there was $500 advertising income, but that the net income showed the Association has a more than $1000 income deficit. Cost saving measures and programs to increase membership were discussed at the Board meeting. The report was accepted as presented.

Old Business: Bob Hall commented on the state of the lake. After some high water early in the season due to heavy rains and snow, the lake is at the correct level at this time. The Secchi disk readings for water clarity are consistently in the top 10% of lakes in the state; last year's average was visibility to 23 feet; below 2', the lake is in trouble. Phosphorous levels are .004ppm, well below the dangerous level.

Maurice Marden commented that the dam operators know what they are doing and have been responsive to events. He reminded us that the dam is there to make electricity; the water must be down to install/remove the boards safely; there are state mandated rules governing dam operation. In reply to Dean Meffe's question, Maurice reported that all gates of the dam are working. Brian indicated that Plum Creek cutting has impacted the amount of water getting into the lake.

New Business: State Rep. Paul Davis gave an update on the status of the Penobscot Restoration Trust which has been authorized to restore the Penobscot to what it was 200+ years ago. This impacts the rivers that feed the Penobscot, including Sebec. The concern is that a fish bypass at Howland will allow pike to enter the feeder rivers and eventually they will be in Sebec Lake. They are already in Sebago, Belgrades and Pushaw Pond. Pike will decimate the salmon population. Rep. Davis feels that an Attorney is needed to sue the Trust to stop further dam removal; there are no funds to hire an Attorney. Alternatives to fish bypass include a fish ladder which pike will not jump, or an elevator which is expensive and must be manned but will stop pike. Invasive milfoil is present in the Belgrade lakes; the new milfoil sticker will use the funds collected to help lake associations eradicate milfoil. There was a study on rubber lures; in Sebec, 3.2% in Sebago, 5.2% of trout examined had rubber in their stomachs. See the report at http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/ Rubber Lures Study.

Election of Officers and Board of Directors. The following slate of Officers and Board of Directors was elected unanimously:

  • President Brian Woodworth
  • Vice President Rick Page
  • Treasurer Jennifer Stewart
  • Corresponding Secretary Cindy Woodworth
  • Recording Secretary Janet Hall
  • Board: Rudy Davis ,Marie Woodbrey, Gary Soucy, Joe Guyotte, Vic Woodbrey, Maurice Marden, Bob Hall, Dean Meffe, Peter Chase, Norman Hill, Mary Jane Sheldon-McKenzie.

Advertising: Cindy Woodworth reported that 50 letters were sent soliciting advertising for the Newsletter. $500 in ads were sold.

Website: Brian Woodworth indicated we are looking for a replacement for Gary Soucy to work on the website and asked for suggestions.

VLMP Invasive Plant Workshop: Rudy Davis reported on the July 2013 workshop; the outgrowth was the idea to create a team to map the lake given the large size of Sebec, it was suggested that we start with the boat launches, but we need viewing scopes. He reminded everyone that visiting equipment used on other lakes must be thoroughly inspected and washed. This includes boats/trailers/personal watercraft/floats/etc. Invasive plants can kill the lake. Everyone needs to recruit members so we can have money to buy equipment needed to monitor the lake. Marty McKenzie asked the cost of scopes (est. $100 each). Denise Buzzelli talked about an eradication/prevention system developed by AWC; she will send the website to Rudy.

Budget Items: Requests were made for $1000 donation for fireworks, $500 for VLMP, up to $100 for water testing, up to $500 for website fee and maintenance. There was discussion of amounts to donate given the bleak financial report. A question was asked how the fireworks supports the SLA charge to Preserve and Protect the lake; Rudy Davis and Brian Woodworth explained that it creates awareness of the SLA since we are a major contributor; Sam Shepherd felt it was good publicity.

Do the fireworks pollute the lake? Marty McKenzie stated that the operator retains the canisters and most of the debris blows away and does not fall in the lake. A bigger threat is the debris from camp owners' fireworks. Because it was suggested that we need money for viewing scopes to search for invasive plants, the question was asked is the fireworks donation better spent on scopes. Ultimately, it was agreed to allocate $500 for the 2015 Fireworks and $100 for VLMP. All requests were passed unanimously. Brian thanked the attendees and adjourned the meeting at 8:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Janet Hall, Recording Secretary


Annual Meeting 2013

SEBEC LAKE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING

July 13, 2013

Twenty-five members of the Sebec Lake Association met in the Mayo Hospital Piscataquis room on July 13, 2013.

After calling the meeting to order at 7 p.m., President Brian Woodworth welcomed members to the annual meeting and had the Officers and Directors present introduce themselves, then asked those present to do the same.

Brian announced that the SLA decals would be available for purchase after the meeting as well as on the SLA website.

The 2012 Annual meeting minutes were read by attendees. The minutes were approved as presented. The 2012 Treasurer's Report was presented by Treasurer Jennifer Stewart. She pointed out that dues income decreased by $2672 (45%) from 2012 to 2013. There was a question about the significant increase in insurance fees; this was due to a once-every-3 year $300 premium to bond the Treasurer for $10000. The report was accepted as presented.

Old Business: Bob Hall commented on the state of the lake. After some high water early in the season due to heavy rains, the lake is at the correct level at this time. The level will hit 325' at least once each season. The Secchi disk readings for water clarity are consistently in the top 10% of lakes in the state; last year's average was visibility to 25 feet; below 2', the lake is in trouble. Phosphorous levels are .007ppm, well below the dangerous level. We do not test for mercury. According to Tim Obrey, DF&W, a study was done 15-18 years ago and the result indicated that longer-lived fish have more mercury.

Roxanna Gerrish asked about mailing the Newsletter later. It was explained that we mail to home addresses, and want to reach out-of-staters before they go to the lake. First class postage this year reached more people successfully with only 50 of 900+ pieces returned.

New Business: Election of Officers and Board of Directors. The following slate of Officers was elected unanimously:

  • President Brian Woodworth
  • Vice President Rick Page
  • Treasurer Jennifer Stewart
  • Corresponding Secretary Cindy Woodworth
  • Recording Secretary Janet Hall
  • The following slate for the Board of Directors was elected unanimously. Rudy Davis Marie Woodbrey Gary Soucy Joe Guyotte Vic Woodbrey Maurice Marden Bob Hall Dean Meffe Peter Chase Norman Hill Mary Jane Sheldon-McKenzie

Budget Items: Request $1000 for 2014 Fireworks donation, $500 for VLMP donation, $100 for water quality testing, up to $500 for website fees and maintenance. These requests were approved unanimously. Val Coluni spoke of his concern that although he's a taxpayer and community worker in Maine, he is still required to pay out-of-state fees for licensing vehicles/fishing/boats; his son was also cited for fishing without a license while teaching his son to fish. It was suggested that this is a Legislative matter and he needs to contact the state representatives.

Brian announced Community Events: The Bike Maine stop in D-F in September; Contributions to the Arno fund can be sent to the Kiwanis; the fund will be used to help pay for an emergency tower with camera/phone/siren at the Dam in hopes of preventing another tragic drowning.

Tim Obrey talked about the Fisheries Management Plan created for Sebec Lake in 2012; the full plan can be read on the Sebec Lake website by clicking on Sebec Lake, then Fisheries Management Plan. Tim explained the difficulties of keeping the lake at the correct level for spawning salmon before draining the lake for the winter. High water in the spring encourages breeding on the shoals, then when the water is let down to reach the required 322.8 feet, the eggs are left high and dry. All agreed that the Dam operators are doing a much better job controlling the lake level than several years ago. Brian thanked the attendees and adjourned the meeting at 8:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Janet Hall, Recording Secretary


Annual Meeting 2012

SEBEC LAKE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING

July 14, 2012

Thirty-two members of the Sebec Lake Association met in the Mayo Hospital Sebec room on July 14, 2012.

After calling the meeting to order at 7 p.m., President Brian Woodworth welcomed members to the 40th annual meeting and introduced the Officers and Directors present. Brian handed out the new Sebec Lake stickers to all present. They will be publicized at the Town Halls and can be purchased from Brian or Janet Hall.

The 2011 Annual meeting minutes were read by attendees. The minutes were approved as presented.

The 2011 Treasurer's Report was presented by Treasurer Jennifer Stewart. She pointed out that dues income increased by $2286; this included 2011 dues paid after 7/1/2011 and 2012 dues paid prior to 7/1/2012. The report was accepted as presented.

Old Business: Brian announced that the Homecoming fireworks on 8/4/12. The fireworks are supported 99% by camp owners, and SLA has contributed $1000, and is a major donor.

Bob Hall commented on the state of the lake. Sebec is in the top 10-15% of Maine lakes in clarity and health. He suggested that we work toward having a VLMP Invasive Plant Identification Workshop in D-F next summer. He will work with VLMP to that end. It was noted by attendees that there is not monitoring of boats for invasive plants during Bass Tournaments. Rudy Davis commented that in Utah, boats are steam washed prior to entering the lakes. Paul Davis reported that the $10 for milfoil sticker goes into the general fund. Pictures of invasive plants can be found at VLMP.org.

Brian announced that the Board voted to send only one mailing in 2013 via first class to ensure speedier delivery and forwarding.

Rick Page and Brian installed the new Sebec Lake sign near Greeley's Landing welcoming people to Sebec Lake. The new sign was created by Carl Brackett.

New Business: Election of Officers and Board of Directors. The following slate of Officers was elected unanimously:

  • President Brian Woodworth
  • Vice President Rick Page
  • Treasurer Jennifer Stewart
  • Corresponding Secretary Tom Lizotte
  • Recording Secretary Janet Hall 
  • The following slate for the Board of Directors was elected unanimously. Board of Directors Rudy Davis Marie Woodbrey Gary Soucy Renee Rawinski Vic Woodbrey Maurice Marden Bob Hall Dean Meffe Peter Chase Norman Hill

Budget Items: Request $1000 for 2013 Fireworks donation, $500 for VLMP donation, $100 for water testing, up to $500 for website fees and maintenance. These requests were approved unanimously.

Brian commented on upcoming community events. Rick Page suggested Mary Jane Sheldon-McKenzie be considered to be on the Board. Representative Paul Davis discussed his legislation passed last year to prevent fish ladders from being installed at Milo and Sebec. However, there is still great concern that some individual will transport invasive species via bucket taxi into Sebec. We need to be vigilant in helping to prevent this. Tim Obrey also spoke about invasive fish including largemouth bass which are currently in Lake Hebron. Both shad (river spawners) and alewives (lake spawners) are likely to end up in Sebec either by swimming downstream or upstream from other lakes into which they travel via fish ladders. The first Winter Fishing Derby was held this winter, sponsored by the D-F fire department. Both lake trout and salmon were caught in low numbers, but high quality. Federal and IFW funds were granted to dredge the entry to Greeley's Landing. D-F. Tim has convened a group of people to work on a Fisheries Management Plan for Sebec. Their charge includes the management of the lake, measurable benchmarks to track progress, a clear course of action to reach set goals, create an informational document. This document will keep everyone on the same page and help to limit rogue ideas. See the spring 2012 Newsletter for an article by Tim on the history of fish management in Sebec. In the 2nd-3rd week of September, the salmon attempt to jump Earley's Falls to spawn in Wilson Stream. Only about 25% make it over the falls. Maurice pointed out that the lake cannot be lowered until Tim reports that the spawning process is over. There were several comments and questions for Tim from the attendees.

Brian thanked the attendees and adjourned the meeting at 8:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Janet Hall, Recording Secretary


Annual Meeting 2011

SEBEC LAKE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING

July 20, 2011

Twenty members of the Sebec Lake Association met in the Mayo Hospital Piscataquis room on July 20, 2011.

After calling the meeting to order at 7 p.m., President Brian Woodworth welcomed members to the 39th annual meeting, introduced the Officers and Directors present and asked all attendees to introduce themselves.

Brian introduced Tim Obrey, Maine Inland Fisheries & Wildlife Biologist and commented on LD134, legislation introduced by Rep Paul Davis to prohibit the construction of fish ladders at the Sebec Dam and the Milo Dam. This will prevent invasive species known to be in the Penobscot River from entering Sebec Lake. The bill was passed in March by both the state House and Senate. Sebec Lake representatives attended and spoke in favor of the legislation at the 2/9/11 public meeting in Augusta.

The 2010 Annual meeting minutes were read. A correction was made, changing the number of states represented by property owners on the lake to 35, and the minutes were approved as corrected.

The 2011 Treasurer's Report prepared by Treasurer Jennifer Stewart was distributed (see attached). The net income for 7-10 through 6-11 was $1617.80. It was noted that the website fees were zero. There were 279 paid members for 2010. Total funds available as of July 2010 are $11,826. The report was accepted as presented.

Old Business: Brian announced that the Homecoming fireworks are on 8/6/11 and the concession stand will be open on the town beach, with shuttles running from town to the beach, as parking is limited. It was noted that the $6500 donated by the town to support Homecoming activities is no longer available, and donations from supporters are essential, especially for the fireworks. The lake association is a major supporter of the fireworks with a $1000 donation to the fund.

Bob Hall commented on the state of the lake. Water quality continues to be excellent. The phosphorous level is steady over the years, and Secchi disk readings for lake clarity were at 30' in July. It was also noted that Ampersand is doing a great job with the dam. There was difficulty getting the splashboards out last year due to heavy rains which caused the lake level to rise 5' splashboards were removed in January 2011. Spring rains made the lake level rise to 323-324 feet (above sea level) which is 1' higher than target level. Bob noted that up to 10,000 cubic feet of water per second enters the lake after a heavy rain due to the extensive watershed for the lake. Sam Shepherd asked about the problem of ice taking out a dock in the spring; Tim Obrey explained that the water was so high when the lake froze that it caused problems. Bob reminded all about invasive plants which can be introduced to the lake by small hitchhiking pieces on boats/trailers/motors that have been on other lakes. Check before launching a boat, and be aware of plant growth around the shoreline. Report any unusual plants to any Officer/Director and place a sample in a zip lock bag. The Maine VLMP will determine if it is an invasive species. Brian noted that contact information for property owners can be updated via a form on the website. Current information is needed in order to receive SLA mailings.

Rick Page reintroduced the issue of the sign near Greeley's Landing welcoming people to Sebec Lake. After authorizing him to repair the sign three years ago, the sign was removed before he could retrieve it. Rick agreed to contact Dave Lockwood and get a price for replacement.

New Business: Election of Officers and Board of Directors. The following slate of Officers was elected unanimously:

  • President Brian Woodworth
  • Vice President Don Baldwin
  • Treasurer Jennifer Stewart
  • Corresponding Secretary Tom Lizotte
  • Recording Secretary Janet Hall
  • The following slate for the Board of Directors was elected unanimously. Board of Directors Don Page Marie Woodbrey Gary Soucy Elaine Page Vic Woodbrey Maurice Marden Bob Hall Dean Meffe Rick Page Norman Hill Peter Chase Renee Rawinski

Brian mentioned several local events scheduled for the summer. He announced that Julia Flanders is looking for volunteers to help with the Loon Watch count each summer. Details are on the website. Because he had received inquires about docks, he distributed information from local dealers. New boat decals were designed and a prototype displayed. Brian will look into production, based on the positive reaction to selling these again.

Bob Hall requested authorization to make up to a $500 contribution to Maine Volunteer Lake Monitoring Association. VLMP offers free classes, counsel, training and identification of invasive species for the lakes in Maine. This was unanimously approved.

Janet Hall requested authorization to spend up to $500 for website maintenance, noting that last year, this allocation was not used at all. . This was unanimously approved.

Brian noted lake residents who had passed away over the winter: Frank Whittaker, Norm Watters, Will Russick and Jean Soule Rich. Donations have been made to SLA in Jean's name at the request of her family. Our condolences are extended to the families of all.

Tim Obrey spoke about the fish population, including viewing salmon jumping the falls at Early's Falls to spawn starting after Labor Day. He reiterated the importance of LD134. He noted that togue population is down due to the reduced stocking rate, while salmon population is up due to the water level agreement to keep the lake level up through October 15 each year. Questions/answers included: Where are the white perch? In the narrows back to Greeleys; Is acid rain a problem? No, the ph level is neutral; Is mercury a problem? Not an issue here. Tim noted that salmon are found about the 35' level in summer, at the top of the thermo clime and togue are found at the 50' level, near the bottom of the thermo clime. Sebec Lake is still considered to have native salmon, since it is no longer stocked. Other Maine lakes continue to be stocked with salmon. Brian thanked the attendees and adjourned the meeting at 8:15 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Janet Hall, Recording Secretary


Annual Meeting 2010

SEBEC LAKE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING

July 14, 2010

Thirty-five members of the Sebec Lake Association met in the Mayo Hospital Piscataquis room on July 14, 2010.

After calling the meeting to order at 6 p.m., President Brian Woodworth welcomed members to the 38th annual meeting and asked all present to introduce themselves.

The 2010 Treasurer's Report was presented by Jennifer Stewart. The net income for 7-09 through 6-10 was -$2,908.30 due to limited membership dues in 2009 and $3000 expense to create the new website. With increased communication with property owners, it is hoped that membership will continue to increase this year. Total funds available as of July 2010 are $11,826.

The 2009 Annual meeting minutes were distributed and later approved as distributed.

Election of Officers and Board of Directors The following slate of Officers was elected unanimously. 

  • President Brian Woodworth
  • Vice President Don Baldwin
  • Treasurer Jennifer Stewart
  • Corresponding Secretary Tom Lizotte
  • Recording Secretary Janet Hall
  • It was noted that Gene and Elizabeth Snyder had submitted their resignations. A letter of appreciation for their more than 15 years on the Board will be sent.
  • The following slate for the Board of Directors was elected unanimously. Board of Directors Don Page Marie Woodbrey Gary Soucy Elaine Page Vic Woodbrey Maurice Marden Bob Hall Dean Meffe

New Business: Tim Obrey, Maine Inland Fisheries & Wildlife Biologist was introduced to give a presentation on Invasive Fish Species threatening Sebec Lake. Since 1961, lake trout have been stocked in Sebec, with survival rate increasing with improvements in stocking methods. Wild Salmon are no longer stocked; habitat surveys are taken periodically in Sebec's tributaries in August. It is difficult for the salmon to climb the falls to Wilson Stream; a fish ladder was proposed in the past, but one landowner refused. The lake level must be kept up from 9/15 to 10/15 to make it easier for the salmon to clear the 4 foot falls at Early's Pool. The flow from Wilson's Pond and Stream are also regulated at that time. Invasive fish species introduced to nearby lakes include largemouth bass, pike, and crappy. It is a crime to introduce invasive species into a waterway. Currently the Penobscot River Restoration Trust has worked with the Maine and Federal Depts of Natural Resources to get dams removed on the Penobscot and the operation is moving forward. This will eventually allow invasive fish (mainly pike) to enter Sebec Lake if all dams are removed, the fish bypass allowed in Howland, and a request to create a fish ladder into Sebec (Phase 3 of project) is allowed. To research past articles related to this project, search the Bangor Daily News for pike and Paul Johnson. Comments and concerns may be directed to Tim at Tim.Obrey@maine.gov. A round of applause thanked Tim for his presentation. See also Tim's article published in the recent SLA newsletter.

Gary MacPheters and Dave Sharrow, local operators of the Sebec Dam now owned/operated by Ampersand, pointed out that the new owners have invested a significant amount of money to make the dam work correctly and make improvements which continue to be implemented. Current projects include an autogate to provide low water passage for fish and installing hydraulics behind the flood gates. The lake level is kept high to 10/15 each year per IF&W (see Tim Obre's comments above), at which time it is dropped to allow the flashboards to be removed for the winter. Water is released in the spring to allow the boards to be reinstalled, but spring rains and the need to regulate the outflow in order to keep Milo basements from flooding can delay the boards being put in. Maurice Marden pointed out that this spring there was a 5' rise in the lake just prior to putting the boards in this spring. The comment was made that the gates go down during a power outage to prevent power from being generated.

Bob Hall reported on lake quality. The clarity was at 7+ meters (23 ft) in June; August is typically 8+ meters. Lake level is steady at about 322.8 feet (above sea level), the target level, due to the relatively good weather since the boards were placed. Brian Woodworth commented on the Duesletter and Newsletter which went out in May and June. Starting with the Newsletter, we are now using bulk mail. Note that bulk mail is NOT forwarded, so please be sure we have your correct mailing address. An email form is available at www.SebecLakeAssoc.com.

He thanked Carl Brackett of Foxcroft Printers in D-F for his excellent work. Carl spent extra time of his own to get it looking just right. A question was raised about sending the newsletters by email. For now, we are collecting email addresses, but do not have a sufficient quantity to make this practical. In addition, many folks have expressed a desire to continue to receive the mailings in paper format. In the future, we hope to make email an option.

Brian commented on the diversity of states to which our mailings are sent. About 24% go to the local zip codes; about 60% go to Maine, and 40% to 19 other states and 3 out of country addresses. The full chart will be posted on the website in the Meeting Minutes section.

Brian spoke about the upcoming Homecoming sponsored fireworks on 8/7 from a barge on the lake. Money is still needed from camp owners. SLA has contributed $1000 for 2010 and is recognized as a major sponsor. Due to current financial constraints, it was voted that the Board will decide at a later date on a contribution of up to $1000 for 2011. It was also voted that the Board can contribute up to $300 to the Volunteer Lake Monitoring Program, a non-profit which tends to the health and welfare of the lakes in Maine using volunteer monitors. Our volunteers are Bob Hall and Renee Rawinski. We can always use volunteers for SLA. Check the website. There was some discussion of having the SLA meeting at the public beach next year. You are welcome to communicate on any topic of interest with officers and directors via email; the individual emails are in the Officers/Directors area of the website. Brian adjourned the meeting at 7:55 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Janet Hall, Recording Secretary


Annual Meeting 2009

SEBEC LAKE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING

August 29, 2009

Fourteen members of the Sebec Lake Association met in the Mayo Hospital Conference room on August 29, 2009.

After calling the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m., President Gary Soucy welcomed members to the 37th annual meeting. The reading of the 2008 minutes was called for; they were accepted as read.

The Treasurer's report was presented orally by the Recording Secretary from a report prepared by Treasurer Jennifer Stewart comparing the 07-08 fiscal year with 08-09 fiscal year. The total funds available as of August 29, 2009 are $14,739. The report was accepted as read.

Old Business: Bob Hall reported on the lake quality/level: 1. Lake clarity is about the same as last year with a range of 16 (heavy rain in June/July) to 20 feet. It was noted that Sebec Lake is in the top 10% of lakes in the state for water clarity/quality. 2. Phosphorous readings were again taken at four points on the lake (Ship Pond Stream, Wilson Stream, center of lake and dam area) and sent to UMaine for analysis at $25 each. The range continues at 4 to 6 parts per billion. Gene Snyder suggested taking a reading near Greeleys Landing to see the effect of household runoff (detergents, etc). Bob explained that phosphorous is a naturally occurring substance and that any increase would take place over some time. 3. Bob received a chemical purity analysis of lake water forwarded from David Frasz for a sample taken in open water. The analysis is typically done for wells to determine the potability of the water. All tests were at excellent levels. It was noted that E. coli and coli form both had a positive detection; this is likely due to natural waste from wildlife. Because the test was NOT to determine potability, this finding is not a concern. A note will be sent to Dr. Frasz thanking him for the report. 4. The current lake level is 322.6 feet, with a high of 325.3 feet the first week of July due to extremely high amounts of rain during June and July. 5. Invasive plants are moving north and east in the state of Maine. Summer residents are asked to be aware of unusual plant growth both at launch sites on the lake and in front of their camps and check boats/trailers for plant material. Some lakes have volunteers at each launch site. There was discussion as to what is done with the boat registration fees; comments were that the money went into the general fund for the state rather than targeting monitoring programs. The VLMP is not a state agency, but does receive some financial support from the state. The VLMP offers free programs all around the state regarding invasive plants and other issues of lake quality. Maurice Marden and Bob Hall presented information related to the operation of the dam, including DEP mandates and the agreement by which Ampersand must run the dam. A recent communication received from the Maine DEP chronicles the agreement between Ampersand and the state of Maine, and addresses the issues of non-compliance and their corrections. The DEP required Ampersand to: 1. Implement an external outlet gate at the powerhouse at the site of the present sluice; the housing for this outlet gate has been constructed and will be completed in the near future. 2. Create breakaway splashboards; Ampersand has installed 6' splashboards made of special plywood-like material on the leftmost 32� of the dam which should fail when the lake reaches 323.3'. 3. Run of the river: 0 through 750 cubic feet/sec can exit though the turbines. If more flow is needed, the five internal floodgates in the turbine housing can be opened to allow an additional output flow of 1000 cf/s. During a heavy rainstorm, 5000-8000 cf/s may come into the lake and the excess must go over the splashboards. If the splashboards are set to fail completely, the lake must be lowered to 321' in order to reinstall flashboards. Per Maurice Marden, the only time the water can be lowered to less than 322' is if a state of emergency is declared. The agreement states that the water is to be drawn down in late winter only; there is nothing about taking the flash boards off at that time. Bob suggested that we need to be in support of Ampersand and work with them, not against them. We need to accept the reality of levels rising at some point during the summer if there is a lot of rain. New Business: The website has not been maintained and we have sent out an RFP to four companies to submit proposals. Two have responded so far. Bill Larrabbee�s web site is no longer functioning as he has retired. Mike McCormick's site is still up. There will be a duesletter sent about March 21, and a newsletter published about May 21. The newsletter will be posted on the new website (assuming it is up) and will be mailed to those who request it. A motion was made to donate $1000 to the D-F Homecoming Fund to support the fireworks display from the lake. Making that level of donation will get SLA sponsor status and increase visibility, and hopefully encourage the committee to again set off the display from the lake. The motion was passed. Rick Page reported that the SLA sign near Greeley's Landing is in need of repair. A motion was made to have the sign refurbished and replaced. The motion was passed. Rick agreed to be responsible for getting it out, taking it to Dave Lockwood in D-F and reinstalling it. Related costs will be covered by SLA.

Election of Officers and Board of Directors Gary Soucy announced that he was stepping down as President, and was on the ballot as VP. He called for nominations from the floor. Gene Snyder nominated Don Baldwin for VP.

A unanimous vote was cast by the secretary for the offices of President, Treasurer, Recording Secretary and Corresponding Secretary. Don Baldwin was elected VP by a show of hands vote.

Officers

  • President Brian Woodworth
  • Vice President Don Baldwin
  • Treasurer Jennifer Stewart
  • Corresponding Secretary Tom Lizotte
  • Recording Secretary Janet Hall
  • The following slate for the Board of Directors was elected unanimously with the secretary casting a single vote. Board of Directors Don Page Gene Snyder Marie Woodbrey Elaine Page Elizabeth Snyder Vic Woodbrey Bob Hall Dean Meffe Maurice Marden Gary Soucy

Note that Gary Soucy replaced Don Baldwin on the Board due to Don's election as VP. Becky Engdahl, a long time Board member and friend of the lake was designated Director Emeritus; she currently resides in Hibbard and is unable to attend meetings. The recording secretary will write a letter to her, informing her of her new status on the board. Gary adjourned the meeting at 7:55 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Janet Hall, Recording Secretary


Annual Meeting 2008

SEBEC LAKE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING

August 9, 2008

Thirty members of the Sebec Lake Association met in the Mayo Hospital Conference room on August 9, 2008.

After calling the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m., President Gary Soucy welcomed members to the annual meeting. Gary noted that two of our most active members, Bud and Ruth Meierdierk had passed away this summer. Ruth was a Director for many years. Condolences were expressed to their daughter, Jill Adams.

The reading of the 2007 minutes was called for; they were accepted as read.

The Treasurer's report was presented in written form. It was noted that the report now is presented for the fiscal year (July 2007 -- June 2008), a change for previous reports which were presented from the date of the prior meeting to the meeting date. It was explained that insurance costs are for liability insurance for the Officers.

Newsletter printing cost of $56 was for printing only. Mailing costs of 900 newsletters will be included in the next Report, as it occurred after 6/30/08.

The total funds available as of August 9, 2008 are $14,586. The report was accepted as presented.

Old Business: Two items were discussed prior to the reading of the minutes. Gary announced that as of 11/30/07, ownership of the dam transferred to Ampersand Energy Partners LLC in Boston MA. There continues to be local operational control of the dam. Dr. Sensinig asked if the water supply for residents at the Bowerbank town or the pump at FR 9 was ever tested. It was suggested that a water testing kit is available at the Piscataquis County Soil and Water Conservation District office in the Pine Tree Industrial Park in Dover-Foxcroft. Bob Hall reported on the lake quality/level. 1. Lake clarity is down from last year to a range of 18 (heavy rain in July/Aug) to 27 feet(less rain). 2. Phosphorous readings were again taken at four points on the lake (Ship Pond Stream, Wilson Stream, center of lake and dam area) and sent to UMaine for analysis at $25 each. The current range is 4 to 6 parts per billion. Increased phosphorous concentration is one of the first indicators of degradation of the lake water quality with 15 ppb being the worry point. 3. Arsenic readings were undetectable i.e. <5 ppb. 4. The current lake level is 324 feet, averaging 323.2 feet (above sea level). It is running high due to the heavy rains and the fact that one of the generators is down for repair, requiring one gate to remain closed. Dean Meffe reported that repair is scheduled to be finished by the end of the season. 5. The No Trespassing and No Swimming signs have been removed. 6. No invasive plants have been reported. Summer residents are asked to be aware of unusual plant growth both at launch sites on the lake and in front of their camps. 7. A temperature data logger was obtained as part of a research program at UMaine to collect variations in temperature with sunlight. It will remain in place for the summer, then sent for analysis.

Questions/comments related to lake quality/level included the following: 1. Maurice Marden has talked with the new owners. The closest office is in New Hampshire. He noted that the flashboards are now made of plywood, which is less vulnerable to vandalism. 2. Gene Snyder and Don Page reported that there is erosion occurring at South Cove and Tim�s Cove. Current regulations prevent repairing the lake shore, so it is imperative that the lake level be maintained at the required range. Maurice Marden pointed out that the watershed terrain has changed with building and extensive logging, removing trees and brush which soak up the rain, which then gets to the lake much faster than in the past, causing the lake to rise. The dam cannot keep up with the volume. 3. Gary reported that there is a problem with the web site's ability to present water level readings. It is being worked on. Meanwhile, there is a link to Mike McCormick's website (webcam), and Mike has allowed the lake levels to be posted there. 4. Jill Adams asked if anything was done in the spring to keep the lake level down. Maurice Marden explained that the gates were wide open and the flashboards are removed to allow maximum outflow.

New Business: Reid Johnston initiated discussion of the causes of phosphorous in the lake (laundry/dishwasher detergents) and where samples were taken. Bob Hall pointed out that measurements are taken at the end of August, per VLMP guidelines, at the outlets of Wilson and Ship Pond streams, the middle of the lake and just above the dam.

Shirley Johnston expressed concern that hazard markers had been moved. It was pointed out that SLA used to place markers, but that the state took over many years ago due to the liability to the SLA. Gene Snyder reported that the State has been in this year to check markers. Placement is recorded by GPS. They are also charting the bottom of the lake. Each marker has a telephone number on it to report problems. Nancy Soucy suggested posting the minutes on the web site and putting an abbreviated version in the newsletter.

Reid and Shirley Johnston expressed concern with extensive tree removal at Cotton Brook. These issues must be taken to the town.

Dean Meffe brought up arsenic levels in wells. It was noted that arsenic levels in drinking water now have a new maximum (was 50 ppb, now 10 ppb). Wells which were fine may now show unacceptable measurements.

A motion was made to allow Bob Hall to spend up to $100 to have lake water tested for phosphorous. The motion passed. A motion was made to donate $500 to VLMP (Maine's Volunteer Lake Monitoring Program). Bob explained that the VLMP holds classes for anyone interested in Maine Lakes at no charge, and keeps track of the quality and problems, including invasive species of plants, in Maine lakes. The motion passed.

Gary announced that Mike McCormick is proposing a Labor Day sailboat race. Contact Mike at www.sebeclake.net. In response to a question, Gary reported that SLA membership is about 30% of camps; there are about 250 members and over 900 camps, based on the extensive collection of address data last year. Please let us know if a camp sells so that we can keep the list current.

The following officers and directors were elected unanimously with a motion that the secretary cast a single ballot:

Officers

  •  President Gary Soucy
  • Vice President Brian Woodworth
  • Treasurer Jennifer Stewart
  • Corresponding Secretary Tom Lizotte
  • Recording Secretary Janet Hall
  • Board of Directors Don Page Gene Snyder Marie Woodbrey Elaine Page Elizabeth Snyder Vic Woodbrey Bob Hall Dean Meffe Maurice Marden Becky Engdahl Don Baldwin

Gary adjourned the meeting at 8:50 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Janet Hall, Recording Secretary